Aubergine is also known as an Eggplant, which is a plant grown worldwide for its edible fruit. Most commonly purple, the spongy, absorbent fruit is used in several cuisines. Typically used as a vegetable in cooking, the Botanical Name is Solanum melongena.
I get most of my vegetable from 2 stalls in Brixton Market. One is called My Village on 45 Electric Avenue, Brixton, this stall is for vegetables and fruit only produce. I also get my vegetables and spices from Aziz Grocers on Electric Lane. They are a bunch of happy guys who always ask how I am and we often have a little chit chat and a laugh. Most of the staff speak Urdu, Hindi and makes me feel im back home. I feel it makes such a difference to your daily chores when you connect. The market has a community vibe which I love. If you haven’t visited, then it’s a must. Even though Brixton has been gentrified, this part of Electric Avenue still has the vibe. There are also many Indian and Pakistani grocers in Tooting.
- 1 medium sized Aubergine
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- small piece of ginger
- 5 gloves of garlic
- 2 large red or white potatoes
- 3 green chillies ( can use 2 if you don’t want it to be too spicy)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (watch out for post on how to make your own masala)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons of oil. I use sunflower oil
- Coriander (optional)
Chop all the vegetables
- Add the 4 table spoons of oil
- Add onions, garlic and ginger
- cook for 3 mins of until slightly brown
- Add the aubergine
- Garam masala
- Green chillies
- Cook on low heat for 10 mins
- Add potatoes
- Put the lid on and Cook on low heat till the potatoes are soft
- Stir occasional
- If curry looks dry, sprinkle some water
- Finely chop coriander and add on top
Enjoy with chapati or Nan bread, yogurt and popadum.
Digestion is just as important as eating a healthy home cooked meals. Good eating habits supports the digestive system and aids in the absorption of nutrients. When sitting down to eat.
Top 5 tips for bolstering digestion
- Eat with your mouth closed.
- Chew your food, as this aids the digestive system.
- Drink water before eating or half and hour after.
- Avoid fizzy drinks
- Eat with mind fullness and enjoy your food.